The odds to be English Premier League (EPL) top scorer in 2021-22 are turning into a one-horse race, and that horse is Liverpool superstar Mohamed Salah.
All Mo did Sunday was score three times (THREE) at the home of hated rival Manchester United as the Reds racked up a history-making 5-0 win at Old Trafford.
As well as heaping the pressure on United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and ensuring bragging rights for many years to come, Salah also took firm hold of the race to become top scorer in the toughest league of all.
The Egyptian forward now has 10 goals in the Premier League already this season, three ahead of his nearest rival – Leicester’s Jamie Vardy. He is also way clear of early favorites Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) and Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea).
Not surprisingly online sportsbooks are taking cover now, and have updated Salah’s odds to show just how good he is right now. The best odds you can get these days? -111 with bet365, so you’d need to bet $111 to win just $100.
Ronaldo returned to the Premier League in a blaze of glory late in the summer, on the back of claiming the accolade for top scorer at the Euros. He’s 36 years old now but started well at United with two in his first game against Newcastle and another the week after at West Ham. Since then though – four games without a goal. And seven behind Salah.
Lukaku’s story is almost exactly the same – he netted three times in his first three games after signing from Inter in the summer, but has been firing blanks in the five games since. He, like Ronaldo, is seven behind Salah on three goals.
Preseason favorite Harry Kane is also way off the pace. Kane doesn’t seem to recovered from failing to get the summer move to Manchester City that he wanted. The Tottenham talisman has just one Premier League goal this season.
Latest EPL Top Scorer Odds
The latest odds right now to be Premier League top scorer in 2021-22 are as follows:
- -111 Mo Salah (bet365)
- +700 Cristiano Ronaldo (PointsBet, bet365)
- +800 Romelu Lukaku (PointsBet, bet365)
- +1200 Jamie Vardy (bet365)
- +1600 Harry Kane (PointsBet, bet365)
- +2000 Sadio Mane (widely available)
- +2800 Son-Heung Min (bet365)
NB: Odds correct and updated at 1500 ET on October 24, 2021
Latest EPL Top Scorer Standings
We are pretty early in 2021-22 but here are the latest standings in the race to be EPL top scorer:
- 10 Mo Salah (Liverpool)
- 7 Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)
- 6 Michail Antonio (West Ham)
- 5 Sadio Mane (Liverpol)
- 4 Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United)
- 4 Diogo Jota (Liverpool)
- 4 Roberto Firminho (Liverpool)
- 4 Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal)
- 4 Son-Heung Min (Tottenham)
- 4 Callum Wilson (Newcastle United)
- 4 Hwang Hee-Chan (Wolves)
- 4 Neal Maupay (Brighton)
- 4 Ismaila Sarr (Watford)
- 4 Mason Greenwood (Manchester United)
NB: Standings correct on Sunday October 24, 2021
Tie-Break rules for EPL Top Scorer Betting
Okay so this is important. Before you place your wager, check out the tie-break rules from your chosen sportsbook. Some of them may settle bets differently if we end up with two or more players tied for the lead at the end of the season.
Get the info you need ahead of time to avoid a nasty surprise next May…
Past EPL Top Scorers – last 10 years
It is always a good idea to look at the type of players who have won this race in the past. Ronaldo of course won it himself back in the day for United, but here are the last 10 winners:
- 2020-2021: Harry Kane (23)
- 2019-2020: Jamie Vardy (23)
- 2018-2019: Sadio Mane, Pierre-Emeric Aubameyang, Mo Salah (all 22)
- 2017-2018: Mo Salah (32)
- 2016-2017: Harry Kane (29)
- 2015-2016: Harry Kane (25)
- 2014-2015: Sergio Aguero (26)
- 2013-2014: Luis Suarez (31)
- 2012-2013: Robin van Persie (26)
- 2011-2012: Robin van Persie (30)