NFL picks against the spread are the bread and butter fun predictions for any expert or bettor during the season and we will have picks for every single game of the 2022 season.
Every weekend experts and fans alike put their reputations on the line by making their predictions for every game.
Picking and betting against the spread is one of the most fun ways to bet on NFL games. It is the ultimate in ensuring parity. Everybody starts at pretty much the same odds.
One team is favored by a specific points margin thanks to Vegas and those online sportsbooks. If you pick that team they must win by more than that margin for you to collect. If you pick the underdog, the baseline for you to win is they must lose by less than that margin.
You can check out our full guide to NFL betting, which has more intel on ATS and all the other popular and best NFL bets.
NFL Picks Against The Spread – Week 1
Okay, so the 2022 schedule is now official and we have a terrific Week 1 schedule.
Here are the opening spreads, we’ll add our picks closer to kickoff time:
Thursday September 8, 2022
- Buffalo Bills (+1) at Los Angeles Rams (-1) 8:20 PM NBC
Sunday September 11, 2022
- New Orleans Saints (-3.5) at Atlanta Falcons (+3.5) 1:00 PM FOX
- Baltimore Ravens (-4.5) at New York Jets (+4.5) 1:00 PM CBS
- Cleveland Browns (-4.5) at Carolina Panthers (+4.5) 1:00 PM CBS
- San Francisco 49ers (-6.5) at Chicago Bears (+6.5) 1:00 PM FOX
- Philadelphia Eagles (-4) at Detroit Lions (+4) 1:00 PM FOX
- Indianapolis Colts (-8) at Houston Texans (+8) 1:00 PM CBS
- New England Patriots (+3) at Miami Dolphins (-3) 1:00 PM CBS
- Jacksonville Jaguars (+4.5) at Washington Commanders (-4.5) 1:00 PM FOX
- Pittsburgh Steelers (+6.5) at Cincinnati Bengals (-6.5) 1:00 PM CBS
- Kansas City Chiefs (-3) at Arizona Cardinals (+3) 4:25 PM CBS
- Las Vegas Raiders (+4) at Los Angeles Chargers (-4) 4:25 PM CBS
- New York Giants (+6.5) at Tennessee Titans (-6.5) 4:25 PM FOX
- Green Bay Packers (-1.5) at Minnesota Vikings (+1.5) 4:25 PM FOX
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2) at Dallas Cowboys (+2) 8:20 PM NBC
Monday September 12, 2022
- Denver Broncos (-4) at Seattle Seahawks (+4) 8:15 PM ESPN/ABC
|State||Sportsbook/Casino||Special Signup Bonus Offer|
|NJ||Unibet||$250 Risk-Free Bet|
|NJ||Unibet Casino||$10 free + $500 bonus on first deposit|
|IA||Unibet||$250 Risk-Free Bet|
|NY||BetRivers||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
|NJ||SugarHouse||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
|IL||BetRivers||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
|CT||SugarHouse||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
NFL Teams Records Against The Spread 2021 – who was best?
Just because a team is top of its division, it doesn’t always follow that team will be great against the spread.
Using the same logic, a team with a terrible W/L record can be great at covering the spread on a weekly basis – while still losing games.
Take Dan Campbell’s overachieving Detroit Lions in 2021. Before things kicked off in September, online sportsbooks were offering odds on whether they would finish 0-17 or not. Well eventually they finished with a 3-13-1 record. But if you look at Detroit’s record against the spread, you’ll find a story of a tough team which is well coached and never quits.
The end result was an 11-6 record against the spread, one of the league’s best. Yes they normally lose, but they also play above the lowly expectations sportsbooks have.
Another interesting study was Arizona. The Cardinals were absolutely stellar on the road – 8-1 on the season. But their record at home ATS stank.
|Green Bay Packers||7-1||5-3||12-5|
|New England Patriots||5-4||5-3||10-7|
|New Orleans Saints||2-5||6-3||9-8|
|San Francisco 49ers||4-4||5-4||9-8|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||6-2||3-6||9-8|
|Kansas City Chiefs||4-5||4-4||8-9|
|Las Vegas Raiders||4-5||4-4||8-9|
|Los Angeles Chargers||4-5||4-4||8-9|
|Los Angeles Rams||4-4||4-5||8-9|
|Washington Football Team||3-5||4-4-1||7-9-1|
|New York Giants||3-5||3-6||6-11|
|New York Jets||4-5||2-5||6-11|
Do NFL computer picks always win?
Again, simple answer – sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.
Computer picks obviously use statistical data and an algorithm, so they are based generally on fact – good thing.
The other plus point is that they have no inbuilt mental bias. Ask a guy in the street and he might just not like the Patriots – that is likely to influence his picks just a little. Even if he wouldn’t admit it.
Can you win betting Against The Spread?
Absolutely you can, but it does take some research and sometimes a little luck.
Always check out the ATS records of the teams you are betting – particularly at home or on the road.
Yet again, we’d advise you to monitor injury reports, COVID reserve lists and weather. These can all factor heavily into what the spread looks like pre-game, and how the scenario then plays out for real.