The race to win the Euro 2020 Golden Boot might be as good as the battle to win the tournament – so we’ve asked our soccer experts to help you win a few bucks with our free predictions to be top scorer.
But for now our total focus is on who will be the top scorer at soccer’s biggest tournament of the year.
Top Scorer Odds
England forward Harry Kane is the current favorite to finish Euro 2020 as the tournament’s top goalscorer.
Here are the latest odds for the leading contenders:
- +600 Harry Kane (BetMGM, Borgata)
- +650 Romelu Lukaku (Resorts)
- +900 Kylian Mbappe (FOX Bet)
- +1400 Cristiano Ronaldo (BetMGM, Borgata)
- +1400 Karim Benzema +1400 (FOX Bet)
- +1600 Memphis Depay (BetMGM, Borgata, FOX Bet, Resorts)
- +2000 Ciro Immobile (FOX Bet)
- +2200 Antoine Griezmann (BetMGM, Borgata, Resorts)
- +2500 Alvaro Morata (BetMGM, FOX Bet,Borgata)
- +2500 Robert Lewandowski (FOX Bet)
- +2500 Timo Werner (BetMGM, FOX Bet, Borgata)
- +2800 Serge Gnabry (BetMGM,Borgata)
- +3300 Eden Hazard (FOX Bet)
- +3300 Ferran Torres (Resorts)
- +3300 Raheem Sterling (FOX Bet, Resorts)
- +4000 Kai Havertz (BetMGM, Borgata, Resorts)
- +4000 Leroy Sane (BetMGM, Borgata, FOX Bet, Resorts)
- +4000 Thomas Muller (FOX Bet)
- +5000 Andrea Belotti (BetMGM, Borgata, FOX Bet, Resorts)
- +5000 Bruno Fernandes (Resorts)
- +5000 Burak Yilmaz (BetMGM, Borgata)
NB: Odds correct at 0900 ET on Tuesday June 8, 2021
Euro 2020 Top Scorer Predictions
It doesn’t take many goals to win the Golden Boot at the Euros. Antoine Griezmann won it with six in 2016, but before that Fernando Torres (2012) topped the charts with three, while David Villa did the same with four in 2008.
So a flurry of goals in the opening stages can often be enough to claim the award for top goalscorer, and therefore we should take a look at those offensive stars who will play their early games in weak groups.
Romelu Lukaku (+650) is an obvious contender. Belgium’s group is one of the weaker ones, but one thing standing against him is Kevin De Bruyne’s injury – can anyone else provide the creativity that will be missing? We don’t think so.
Favorite Harry Kane (+600) is another obvious pick and England has plenty of attributes which suggest it will go deep into the competition. But Kane has had a long, long season and it remains to be seen how healthy he actually is. If he’s at 100% then sportsbooks beware…
Elsewhere the Netherlands isn’t the finished product yet, and not many are expecting much from it at the tournament.
But the Dutch do have arguably the weakest group in the entire tournament and Memphis Depay (+1600) is in red-hot form. While not an out-and-out central forward he does have an exceptional scoring record and everything offensive will flow through him. The Dutch may well not go deep in the event but he could do enough in the initial three matches to justify a selection.
But for our OddsCritic predictions we go for two well-known names at much bigger odds.
Poland are not expected to be among the challengers for the tournament, but they happen to have the greatest goalscorer of this, or indeed any, season. Robert Lewandowski (+2500) has broken records in Germany with Bayern Munich this season and will take all penalties. It will be a disappointment for him if he doesn’t pick up two or three goals in the group stages and from there, who knows. At the odds, it is well worth picking him.
For our second pick, we forget everything we’ve just talke about. France is among the tournament favourites but also in the most difficult group, along with fellow powerhouses Portugal and Germany. But it has also just welcomed Karim Benzema (+1400) back into the fold and, like Lewandowski, had a fantastic season at club level for Real Madrid.
Benzema has been in exile at international level for five years, but with Kylian Mbappe on one side and Antoine Griezmann on the other, he spearheads the best offensive group at the tournament by some distance. It will be of some surprise if Benzema doesn’t make a big impact on the tournament, and in a team we have already picked to win it all.
OddsCritic Top Scorer Predictions
- Robert Lewandowski at +2500 (FOX Bet)
- Karim Benzema at +1400 (FOX Bet)
Previous top scorers at the Euros
Previous Golden Boot winners at the European Championships are as follows:
- 2016: Antoine Griezmann (6 goals)
- 2012: Alan Dzagoev, Mario Mandzukic, Cristiano Ronaldo, Mario Gomez, Fernando Torres, Mario Balotelli (3 goals)
- 2008: David Villa (4 goals)
- 2004: Milan Baros (5 goals)
- 2000: Patrick Kluivert, Savo Milosevic (5 goals)
- 1996: Alan Shearer (5 goals)
- 1992: Dennis Bergkamp, Tomas Brolin, Henrik Larsen, Karl-Heinz Riedle (3 goals)
- 1988: Marco van Basten (5 goals)
- 1984: Michel Platini (9 goals)
- 1980: Klaus Allofs (3 goals)
- 1976: Dieter Muller (4 goals)
- 1972: Gerd Muler (4 goals)
- 1968: Dragan Dzajic (2 goals)
- 1964: Ferenc Bene, Jesus Maria Pereda (2 goals)
- 1960: Milan Galic, Francois Heutte, Valentin Ivanov, Drazan Jerkovic, Viktor Ponedelnik (2 goals)
What are the top scorer tie-breaker rules?
What happens to bets if two or more players finish up level at the top scorer standings at Euro 2020? Good question.
The normal answer is that the player from that list who has the most assists in the tournament wins the tie-break and the accolade as top scorer. Fernando Torres in 2012 for example.
Before placing your bets on the top scorer line, check out the rules from your sportsbook of choice. They can differ so it pays to find out what you need to win ahead of time…