Derrick Henry is the early favorite in the betting odds to be the NFL Comeback Player Of The Year in 2022.
The Tennessee Titans RB was on course for another career year when he was forced to miss the second half of the 2021 regular season after foot surgery. He returned for the postseason but was one and done as the Bengals ended Tennessee’s Super Bowl hopes.
|State||Sportsbook/Casino||Special Signup Bonus Offer|
|NJ, IL, IA, NY||PointsBet||Risk-Free bets up to $2000|
|Multiple||BetMGM||First Bet Risk-Free up to $1000|
|NJ||Unibet||$250 Risk-Free Bet|
|NJ||Unibet Casino||$10 free + $500 bonus on first deposit|
|IA||Unibet||$250 Risk-Free Bet|
|NY||BetRivers||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
|NJ||SugarHouse||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
|IL||BetRivers||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
|CT||SugarHouse||Bonus Matched Deposit up to $250|
In the end it was Cincinnati QB Joe Burrow – coming off that horrific knee injury which wrecked his 2020 season – who finished 2021 with a hot streak to win the award. He pipped longtime favorite and Dallas QB Dak Prescott right at the death.
This year the early line has Henry as favorite at +350 (bet $100 to win $350), followed by New Orleans Saints QB Jameis Winston at +650. Winston saw his 2021 season ended early by a torn ACL.
New York Giants QB Daniel Jones is +900 after an injury plagued 2021 and it’s a similar story for New Orleans Saints WR Michael Thomas. We have a couple of QBs hoping to get starting opportunities in 2022 – Marcus Mariota (+1200) is set to take over the controls in Atlanta while Mitch Trubisky (+1400) gets a new chance in Pittsburgh.
Deshaun Watson, now a Cleveland Brown following that blockbusting trade from Houston, is +1600 after sitting out the 2021 season while Carolina RB Christian McCaffrey and Washington DE Chase Young are on the same odds.
We’ll have more detailed predictions and best bets as we get closer to the 2022 season kickoff.
Latest Comeback Player Of The Year Odds
This is always an award which can go right down to the wire. Remember that in 2021 Prescott was a heavy favorite all season – only to lose out to Burrow when the Cincy man had that red-hot finish to the regular season which netted the AFC North title for the Bengals.
The latest 2022 odds are as follows:
- +350 Derrick Henry (RB, Tennessee Titans)
- +650 Jameis Winston (QB, New Orleans Saints)
- +900 Michael Thomas (WR, New Orleans Saints)
- +900 Daniel Jones (QB, New York Giants)
- +1200 Marcus Mariota (Atlanta Falcons)
- +1400 Mitch Trubisky (QB, Pittsburgh Steelers)
- +1600 Deshaun Watson (QB, Cleveland Browns)
- +1600 Christian McCaffrey (RB, Carolina Panthers)
- +1600 Chase Young (DE, Washington Commanders)
- +1600 J.K. Dobbins (RB, Baltimore Ravens)
NB: Odds correct on May 28, 2022
Who can win NFL Comeback Player Of The Year?
The official definition for the CPOY award is a little loose, but that means way more players worth betting on. It is:
“A player who “shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance.”
Who won NFL Comeback Player Of The Year?
If you’re betting on this kind of stuff, always a great idea to look at the previous winners – and what they went through. The last 10 winners of the award were:
- 2021 Joe Burrow (CB, Cincinnati Bengals)
- 2020 Alex Smith (QB, Washington Football Team)
- 2019 Ryan Tannehill (QB, Tennessee Titans)
- 2018 Andrew Luck (QB, Indianapolis Colts)
- 2017 Keenan Allen (WR, Los Angeles Chargers)
- 2016 Jordy Nelson (WR, Green Bay Packers)
- 2015 Eric Berry (S, Kansas City Chiefs)
- 2014 Rob Gronkowski (TE, New England Patriots)
- 2013 Philip Rivers (QB, Los Angeles Chargers)
- 2012 Peyton Manning (QB, Denver Broncos)
So again with most awards in this league, a bias towards QBs with six of the last 10 including the last four.
Who chooses NFL Comeback Player Of The Year?
Backed by Associated Press (AP), votes for CPOY come from a nationwide poll of accredited media.
When is NFL CPOY announced?
The award is now part of the NFL’s big Honors ceremony, which takes place during Super Bowl Week.
The next ceremony to announce the 2022 winner will take place on Thursday February 9, 2023 at 9pm Eastern Time/8pm Central Time/6pm Pacific Time.
How to watch the CPOY announcement on TV
The Awards Ceremony will be televised live nationally and simulcast on NFL Network. Details to follow.